Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Tagalong Cookie Copycat (Kind-of)

Girlscout cookies. I think we can all agree that there's some strangely addictive qualities to these cookies.

My personal favorite- Peanut butter tagalongs. It's like a crunchy, kid version of a Reese cup. These are one of those cookies that last a day (or less) in our house between hubs and me.

At a Christmas party earlier this month, Nick's aunt told me about a recipe that she had heard and wanted to try that supposedly tasted just like these precious peanut butter Girlscout cookies. Of course, I had to try it.



The good news: They are delicious. Cruncy, chocolately, peanut-buttery... yum.
The "not so good" news: They aren't quite how I remember my tagalongs tasting (girlscout cookie season was quite a while ago, though!)

Overall, they're definitely worth a try. They're simple to make and I haven't had anyone dislike them yet!


Here's what you'll need:
Ritz Crackers
Creamy Peanut Butter (You could use crunchy if you want to mix things up a bit!)
Milk Chocolate Chips
Crisco Shortening or Coconut Oil (Optional)

Here's how to make them:
1. Spread peanut butter onto 1/2 of the ritz Crackers.
2. Use the other half of the crackers to top the crackers with peanut butter, forming little cracker sandwiches.
3. Melt your chocolate in a double boiler. (You can melt in a single sauce pan, just do so one medium/low heat and be sure to stir constantly to prevent burning).
4. This is OPTIONAL!!! I don't like my chocolate to be super thick, so you can add crisco, or I used coconut oil (only about a teaspoon of it for 2 cups of chocolate chips- add more as needed). Stir the thinning agent into the melted chocolate until it is not longer clumpy and has completely mixed with the chocolate.
5. Dip each cracker sandwich into the melted chocolate. I used a little pair of tongs to pull them out and a spoon to gently scrape excess chocolate off of the edges.
6. Place on wax/parchment paper and put someplace cold to harden (I put mine in the fridge, if it's cool outside, they could also be put outside).



No comments:

Post a Comment