Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Shots, Shots, Shots!!

SHOTS DAY IS THE WORST!!!!

I'm sure all parents who have ever taken their baby to a vaccination appointment can agree.. They stink!

Our little girl had her third round of shots today... Perhaps a bit of background is needed..

When she was 2 months old, my hubby couldn't get time off of work to come with me to her first shots appointment. My mother-in-law took his place and bravely stood by my side as we held our little girls' arms down. I swear the nurse no more than cleaned Charlotte's leg with the alcohol swab and I was in tears... Yep I was that mom. After the shots were over, my baby started crying in a way I had never heard her do before AND her tear ducts decided to start producing tears for the first time, so there's me.. Bawling in the corner, attempting to console my poor little girl.. In an effort to pull myself together, I asked Grandma to hold her so I could get a Kleenex... She turned around to grab her and low and behold she was a blubbery mess too!!!

Finally, we got a grip of ourselves and made our grand exit with mascara streaks all the way to our chins. Two days later my cousin took her baby for her first shots and when she started to get teary-eyed the nurse told her "don't worry. You can't be any worse than the mom AND grandma that were in here bawling a couple days ago"!.. Not quite what I had imagined my legacy as a mom would be..

At 4 months we went back for round 2. I made darn certain that my husband could be there this time, thinking for sure he would see how hard it is to not sob. Nope- it was all me. Again.
I think the anticipation is what got me. I'm not even sure if the nurse was in the room before I started to get upset. Argh... Tis little girl had better not get any injuries ever because there's no way I'm making it through that one with my makeup still in tact!

So then there's today. The great big here and now. I had been prepping. I told myself I wouldn't cry. I swore I would be tough as nails. Well... One thing led to another, a night of 45 minutes of sleep plus the stress of approaching deadlines to meet for work. Add to that the lack of preparations that I've done for Christmas and I stood no chance.

I didn't even make it into the parking lot! "Mary Did You Know" came on the radio and I was done. I have heard that song 8 million times, but today, hearing it while my little angel was asleep in her car seat, knowing what lied ahead of her.. I didn't stand a chance.

I met Nick and warned him that it was going to be a tough one. He squeezed my hand and flashed that nick-smile at me and I DID IT!

I didn't cry. Not one tear. I calmed my girl down, treated myself to a peppermint mocha latte and carried on... Of course by "carried on" I came home and put a shot of peppemint schnapps in my latte!

The way I see it, if she gets shots, mommy should get to have one too!

No comments:

Post a Comment