Friday, August 21, 2015

Let's be HONEST



I have never been one to be all into organic/natural/chemical free products, until I got pregnant.

Thanks to the ever creepy stalk capabilities of social media tracking your recently visited webpages and recently searched items, I was bombarded with articles about how baby foods are loaded with chemical preservatives that lead to defects and clothes detergents (even baby ones) are loaded with chemicals that cause asthma and hives and diapers.. oh the diapers.. I think the images of the chemical burns on those poor babies are forever burned into my brain...

So you can imagine my thrill when I learned about the Honest Company.

Honest is Jessica Alba's company that guarantees not to use any harsh or toxic chemicals in their products. They offer a huge range of products from sunscreen to diapers. They also offer free trials of many of their products so you can try before you buy! Another huge perk: their diapers are seriously adorable!



I jumped right on board and signed up for the monthly diapers and wipes subscription through Honest. Here's what I found I liked and didn't like about having a subscription of honest diapers and wipes.

The Pros:

  • Super Cute Diapers- you get to choose what designs you want in each shipment and they change them periodically
  • "Month's Supply" of diapers and wipes delivered to your doorstep- shopping with a baby, especially a newborn is HARD. With Honest, you don't have to leave your couch! 
  • Good, sturdy, thoroughly moist wipes- I hate companies that make wipes that feel practically dry or rip right apart as you try to pull them out of the container... No body has time to fight with flimsy wipes during changing time! 
  • Worry Free! No need to fret about your baby winding up with a nasty burn or rash from chemical laden diapers and wipes.
  • Easy shipment date adjustment online- if you need diapers sooner (or later) you can easily log into your Honest account and set your shipment date.
  • Great price! In Newborn size, you get about 320 diapers PLUS 4-72 packs of wipes for $79.95. At Walmart, a case of 128 Pampers Swaddlers in Newborn size costs $34.94 (316 Diapers costs $69.88 PLUS a 56-count pack of wipes costs $1.97 so add an additional $10. For both you end up at $79.88.. THEN you have to incorporate the cost of gas (for people who live in the boonies like me, it's a 60 mile round trip) and THEN think about the hassle of packing up your baby, the diaper bag, your purse, making the trip, unloading the baby into the car, praying she doesn't have a blowout while you're in the store (or in her carseat- YUCK), struggling to keep her from screaming through the store, packing her back in the car... on and on and on. Honest is DEFINITELY a great deal! 
  • Target carries honest products! If you get in a pinch and have quick, easy access to target, you can replenish your supply in store.
The Cons:
  • As much as I wanted them to be perfect for my little one, the just didn't quite fit her right. All babies are made differently, so if you question whether they'll fit yours appropriately, definitely take advantage of a free trial! 
  • They're pretty stiff. This is a double edged sword- they are free of all the chemicals that major diaper companies use that make their product so soft which is AWESOME, but they can leave some pretty sore looking red spots from being so stiff. (We just try to give her about an hour a day of time with no diaper on to relax her skin and air out). She loves it because she can straighten out her legs without a big bulky diaper between her thighs and it gives us piece of mind to see her skin without red marks from constant pressure of diapers. 
  • If the amount of diapers sent to you isn't enough or is too many, it can be a real pain. The website currently doesn't have any options for "mix and match" bundles. Personally I think it would be handy to be able to get multiple sizes in a delivery if needed (they send 6 packs of diapers, so I'd love to be able to order 4 in size 1 and 2 in size 2, our little one has been growing like a weed so she blew right through the size 1 phase). 
  • Inquiries/cancelling is a pain. They only offer most account modifications via phone and, like many customer service businesses, it can take FOREVER t oget through to a representative.
  • The "deals" run out once they have your credit card on file... Before I signed up for a subscription, I always was getting e-mails for 50% off a bundle or buy one bundle, get a second for a percentage off, etc. After I signed up, those deals all stopped. I hate when companies only reward NEW customers... It wouldn't hurt to dish out a little love to loyal customers once in a while too! 
So all in all, I think Honest is a great company and they have an awesome mission. I love the chemical free products and the piece of mind that their products gives to parents. The products are adorable and the price point was spot on. I ended my diaper subscription simply because they didn't fit over her bum correctly, but they may be perfect for your baby! I'll still continue using honest for their wipes and other products. 

My recommendation: Give the free trial a shot and see what you think! It's worth it!



*I am in no way affiliated with The Honest Company. The images provided are samples available at www.honest.com used to give my readers a better understanding of the company. 

No comments:

Post a Comment