Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Green Tomato Jelly

Tomatoes Galore? Search no more!

My grandmother is one of those women that can make just about anything taste delicious!
This is her recipe for Green Tomato Jelly.


5 cups chopped green tomatoes
4 cups sugar
2 3oz. packs Jell-O (I usually stick to grape, raspberry and strawberry.. but feel free to be adventurous!)

1. Chop  your tomatoes. I usually just cut around the core and cut them into 1/2 inch squares. (You don't have to chop them super fine or evenly.. you're going to cook them down and then puree them).
2. Combine tomatoes and sugar in a sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir frequently. (The tomatoes will break down with the heat and sugar and make a syrup-y like liquid)
3. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
4. Use either a blender or emulsion blender to puree your mixture. (I used the ninja food system and it worked awesome!)
5. Return to sauce pan, add Jell-O mix and let simmer for 20 minutes.  

While your mixture is simmering, start prepping your jars. I have a bottle sterilizer that I put mine in and then fill them while they're still hot, many canning experts boil theirs... do some research, choose your method and get your jars ready to fill.

Once your mix has cooked, pour into your prepped jars and process them according to your favorite method! I put my jars in boiling water for 5 minutes, then let them sit wrapped in towels for 36 hours.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment