Friday, September 4, 2015

Homemade Wheat Bread, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free

There's not much that beats the smell of homemade bread.

I love the comments my house guests make when they arrive and our whole house smells of freshly baked bread. And our guests love having delicious homemade bread for with dinner or as their morning toast!

I've had a couple failed attempts with wheat bread in my bread machine, but FINALLY, thanks to me going dairy free, I have found a recipe that works.



The bread is pretty crumbly, so it's ideal for toast or bread and "butter" to go with dinner, but not so much as a hearty sandwich bread. The crust is nice and flaky, not too tough and the wheat flavor is delicate enough that it doesn't punch you in the mouth with each bite.



Here's the ingredients I used:

1 cup water
1/4 cup canola oil (or vegetable oil)
1 egg (this can be omitted if you want)

2 Tbs sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup bread flour
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup non-dairy milk (I used quinoa/rice blend)
1 1/2 tsp yeast


If you're using a bread machine (which I totally recommend), add ingredients in the order listed above. I'm no bread pro, but all the books I have stress keeping the liquid and the yeast separated when you add them to the mixer. Anyway, all you have to do is pour in all the ingredients and push start! I have the option on my machine to specify dark or light bread so I did opt for a light finish, but I don't know if it actually makes any difference!

I found that with this bread it stayed together a little better during slicing while it was still warm. The heat held it together a little better so it didn't crumble quite so bad.

Hubby and I demolished this bread! It was perfect with our eggs at breakfast with some homemade green tomato jam!

So get mixing and enjoy!

(PS- invite some friends over, your house will smell like heaven while this is baking! )

Cheers! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment