Monday, February 15, 2016

Brownies- with no flour or refined sugar?!?! Yes.

I'm on week 3 of the 21 Day Fix! Yay!!!

I must admit, I feel so much better knowing that I'm building muscle and getting myself back on the stick. It's such an empowering feeling taking control of your health and making the decision to better yourself... most of the time.

There are, however, those times when you just want chocolate and there's not enough water, toothpaste or vinegar in the world to deter that sweet craving (yes, I brush my teeth with minty tooth paste or drink some vinegar water when I have a sweet craving to try to blow it off- try it, you'll be amazed).

So, last week I got this crazy intense chocolate fit.. that lasted for about 3 days and I just could NOT get it to go away. Luckily, I remembered my sister talking about Black Bean Brownies that she had made and LOVED. I decided I was desperate and had to try something, so I got my googler out and discovered my definition of a genius, Chocolate Covered Katie.

If you have never checked out her blog, it's definitely worth it. So many delicious, healthy versions of our guilty pleasures.



Anyway, I found her recipe for Black Bean Brownies and O.M.G... Let's just say I'm keeping black beans on hand from now on, just in case. They are SO good. I deviated from her recipe just ever so slightly and ended up with a deliciously, gooey, almost half-baked batter like center with the nice crispy edge that everyone loves on a brownie. I gave them to my husband and two teenage cousins without telling them what it was made of and they all commented that they were some of the best brownies they'd ever had. Imagine their shock when I told them they were eating Black Beans!


Ok, enough talking about it... Let's get down to business.

Here's what you need to make these delicious little treats:


  • 1 can black beans
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder 
  • 1/2 cup quick oats 
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup agave nectar or honey
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil 
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 2/3 cup chocolate chips (I like dark chocolate best with this recipe)
  • optional: more chips for presentation, walnuts, white chocolate chips


  • Here's how you make them:

    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2. Drain and rinse your black beans so all the sauce they come canned in is washed off.
    3. Put your oats in food processor (or I use my Ninja blender and it works great) and blend them until they form a powder
    4. Add in all other ingredients except chocolate chips and optional ingredients. Blend until well mixed and a smooth, batter like consistency is formed. Stir in chocolate chips.
    5. Pour batter into a greased baking pan (I use a round 8" pan).
    6. Top with more chocolate chips, nuts or other treats if desired.
    7. Bake 15-18 minutes.
    8. Let cool at least 15 minutes before eating.
    9. Don't bother with a plate, just get a fork and chow down!!!!

    If you have any left over (key word, if) just cover them and store them in your refrigerator. They may set up more overnight in your fridge, giving you a nice, brownie like consistency.

    Enjoy!!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment