Monday, January 11, 2016

Healthy Pizza Bite Snacks

Pizza... a staple in so many households. I know when I was growing up I used to LOVE pizza night on Fridays. What is it about that cheese and sauce slathered dough that creates such a soft spot in so many of our hearts? Which of course leads to a whole lot of soft, jiggley, "can't quite button my pants" spots around our waist..

Alas, I've found a way to still indulge without worrying about being banished by my jeans for the next month!  Zucchini!


Fun right??

Here's what you need- I'm not including measurements, as everything is really "to taste", so feel free to pile them up or keep them simple! 
  • Zucchini, sliced into 1/4" coins
  • Pizza Sauce (We used home canned tomato sauce with a bit of basil, garlic and oregano added)
  • Turkey Pepperoni
  • Reduced Fat Italian Cheese
  • Italian Seasoning
  • Salt and Pepper

And here's how you make them:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or just grease the baking sheet)
3. Lay zucchini slices on the sheet in a single layer, sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper and bake just until the middle of the coins begins to turn soft. DO NOT OVER BAKE- we want to be able to pick these up, so don't let your zucchini turn to mush (About 8-10 minutes)
4. Remove zucchini from oven and spoon pizza sauce over the coins. 
5. Top with a thin layer of cheese, a pepperoni slice and more cheese. (You'll want the little bit of cheese between the sauce and pepperoni to help hold everything together!)
6. Return to the oven until the cheese has completely melted.
7. Remove and sprinkle with a bit of Italian seasoning and Voila! 

These are so easy and so delicious! I hope you enjoy them as much as my family does! 





No comments:

Post a Comment